In order to talk about future in your essays, you can use the following expressions. These expressions come handy especially when you are writing a conclusion or predicting a trend in the future:
1. In the end, I think it is an issue that will be handled on an international level. (certain)
2. If we don’t protect forests and other animal habitats now, we may well see a vert steep decline in animal numbers. (probable)
3. Without new laws, there is little chance of any real improvement in the foreseeable future. (improbable)
Now look at these sentences and decide if they are certain (a), probable (b) or improbable (c):
1. It is highly likely that we will find a cure for malaria.
2. As far as human cloning is concerned, I think there is little likelihood of this happening.
3. I very much doubt whether the world will ever become completely vegetarian.
4. The world’s population is bound to exceed in the next 15 years.
5. There is a strong likelihood that many more species will become endangered.
6. There is unlikely to be another ice age in our lifetime.
7. There is no doubt that scientists will one day come up with a ‘food’ pill.
8. It’s quite possible that people will live to be over 150 in the future.